1/10/2004

JEJEUNE DECONSTRUCTION OF QUALITATIVE ANALYSIS IN PO-MO-LIT-CRIT

Bless the engineers, for they tread for no wank dare tarry. Consider this piece of investigative experimentation entitled How to Deconstruct Almost Anything -- My Postmodern Adventure, which demystifies the ivory-towerspeak of today's literary masturbati. From the article:
Technical people like me work in a commercial environment. Every day I have to explain what I do to people who are different from me -- marketing people, technical writers, my boss, my investors, my customers -- none of whom belong to my profession or share my technical background or knowledge....Contrast this situation with that of academia. Professors of Literature or History or Cultural Studies in their professional life find themselves communicating principally with other professors of Literature or History or Cultural Studies...What you have is rather like birds on the Galapagos islands -- an isolated population with unique selective pressures resulting in evolutionary divergence from the mainland population. There's no reason you should be able to understand what these academics are saying because, for several generations, comprehensibility to outsiders has not been one of the selective criteria to which they've been subjected.

No comments: