5/02/2003

CIVIL LIBERTIES ARE FOR WIMPS

It is interesting to consider the contents of this article juxtaposed against this one. From the first article: "The [American] State Department...suggests that Canada...doesn't spend enough on policing and places too much emphasis on civil liberties." From the second article:
When I asked to speak to a lawyer, the INS official informed me that I do have the right to a lawyer but I would have to be brought down to the station and await security clearance before being granted one. When I asked how long that would take, he replied with a coy smile: "Maybe a day, maybe a week, maybe a month." ...One of the taxi drivers, a U.S. citizen, spoke to me during the interrogation. "Please stop talking to them," he urged. "I have been through this before. Please do whatever they say. Please for our sake."

No comments: